Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cranberry Scone Recipe

Last week I made cranberry scones from a recipe I got from my college roommate!!!  I had tasted hers and loved them...so I decided to make them for my girl's leaders meeting last week.  They were a hit for the meeting as well as my family.  Caleb said they were the best thing he had ever tasted!!! haha...




So, some had asked for the recipe...so here it is...I take no credit for this...it was passed to my friend from someone at her church...so just enjoy it!!

* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup raisins/craisins (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
3.Cream the butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat the egg with vanilla and add to the sugar/butter mixture.
4.Mix the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Add to the butter/sugar mixture – do not overmix.
5. Stir the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture until just moistened.
6. Mix in any toppings – for orange/cranberry scones 1 C dried cranberries and the zest from one orange. For chocolate chip scones, 1 C mini chocolate chips.
7. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll or pat dough into 4 3/4 inch thick rounds. Cut each into 6 wedges, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Bake 14 to 18 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.
9. Allow to cool completely on wire racks. Glaze or top as desired. For orange glaze – orange juice, zest and powdered sugar until desired consistency.


I was really worried that they wouldn't turn out...for some reason making scones has always scared me...but they turned out great...I'll definatly make them again...so enjoy!!!!

1 comment:

valerie said...

I think I will make these:)